billing <- '...'

## Google BigQuery has kindly archived this data for us
## For newer data you will have to learn to scrape reddit yourself
months <- c(
  "2017_03","2017_04","2017_05","2017_06","2017_07","2017_08",
  "2017_09","2017_10","2017_11","2017_12","2018_01","2018_02"
)
reddits <- c(
  "Bitcoin", "ethereum", "CryptoCurrency", "0xProject", "omise_go", "Tronix", "Ripple", "Iota", "nanocurrency",
  "vergecurrency", "Monero", "eos", "litecoin", "Stellar", "cardano", "NEO", "btc", "helloicon", "ArkEcosystem",
  "siacoin", "RaiBlocks", "EthereumClassic", "dashpay", "nem", "EtherDelta"
)
all_data <- lapply(reddits, function(r) {
  filename <- paste0("~/Desktop/", r, "_reddit.rds")
  all_btc <- lapply(months, function(m) {
    table <- paste0("fh-bigquery.reddit_comments.", m)
    sql <- paste0(
      "SELECT body, author, score, created_utc FROM `", table, "` WHERE subreddit='", r, "' ORDER BY created_utc ASC"
    )
    tb <- bq_project_query(billing, sql)
    bq_table_download(tb)
  })

btc <- dplyr::bind_rows(all_btc)
  sent <- get_sentences(btc$body) %>% sentiment_by
  btc$sentiment <- sent$ave_sentiment
  btc$word_count <- sent$word_count
  btc$reddit <- if (r == "RaiBlocks") { "nanocurrency" } else { r } #rebranding...
  btc
})

big_df <- dplyr::bind_rows(all_data)
big_df$created_utc %<>% as.POSIXct(., origin = "1970-01-01", tz = "UTC")
big_df$sentiment_type <- sapply(big_df$sentiment, function(x) {
    if (x > 0.6)   return("very positive")
    if (x < -0.6)  return("very negative")
    if (x > 0.3)   return("positive")
    if (x < -0.3)  return("negative")
    return("neutral")
  }) %>% factor(., levels = c("very positive", "positive", "neutral", "negative", "very negative"))

reddit_activity <- big_df %>%
  group_by(month = floor_date(created_utc, "month"), reddit = reddit, sentiment_type = sentiment_type) %>%
  summarize(num_words = sum(word_count))

## summary chart
ggthemr_reset()
p <- ggplot(reddit_activity[!reddit_activity$reddit %in% c("Bitcoin", "btc", "CryptoCurrency", "EtherDelta"), ], aes(x = month, y = num_words, fill = sentiment_type)) +
  geom_bar(stat = 'identity') + ggtitle(paste0("Reddit sentiment summary. © Rados.io")) +
  xlab("Month") + scale_y_continuous(name="# Words", labels = scales::comma) +
  guides(fill = guide_legend(title = "Sentiment")) + facet_wrap(~reddit) +
  theme(axis.text.x = element_text(angle = 30, hjust = 1))
ggsave(paste0("~/Downloads/", "overall", "_reddit_plot.png"), plot = p, width = 9)

## individual charts
ggthemr("pale")
lapply(reddits, function(r) {
  p <- ggplot(reddit_activity[reddit_activity$reddit==r, ], aes(x = month, y = num_words, fill = sentiment_type)) +
    geom_bar(stat = 'identity') + ggtitle(paste0("Reddit sentiment summary of r/", r, ". © Rados.io")) +
    xlab("Month") + scale_y_continuous(name="# Words", labels = scales::comma) +
    guides(fill = guide_legend(title = "Sentiment"))
  ggsave(paste0("~/Downloads/", r, "_reddit_plot.png"), plot = p, width = 9)
})

Ran the code. I am getting an error (Still learning). I am definitely doing something wrong. Will check again.
However thanks for sharing.

Like it.

what’s the error? did you properly configure bigrquery?

Hello @Neuron,

I’m currently investigating the correlation with the number of subscription to subreddits and the number of comments in subreddits with the price of Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies. I’m wandering if the code that you shared above could do this. If not, how I could collect data about the historical subscription to a subreddit or collect data of the number of comments in a subreddit /per day or /per month ?

Thank you in advance for your help !!

I’m afraid for your needs you’re going to need to write custom code. Feel free to start with what’s posted here and maybe replace the SELECT statement with SELECT * FROM ... in order to see what kind of data is available in that database. It is fairly comprehensive and is endorsed by both Google and Reddit.

If the kind of data that you’re looking for is not available in that database you will have to figure something out on your own. If you do we will all greatly appreciate if you share your findings here.

Good luck!