How do our protocol launch sales work?

What is a protocol launch sale?

When we announce our intention of deploying Saturn Protocol onto a new chain, one of the first things we will do in terms of development is to create a new SATURN token specific to the chosen chain. We will then make 15% of the new token’s allocation available in a launch sale. The idea behind this sale which you could consider a mini ICO, is to raise funds to cover any chain specific development requirements. For example, when we chose to launch onto Ethereum Classic, we knew that we would need to develop a dApp browser first as ETC did not have one. If we were to have simply deployed our exchange without a dApp browser then no one would have been able to use it!

How does our protocol launch sale work?

There are no fancy procedures or rules to follow, all you will really need is funds available on the chain we have chosen to deploy on. We do not have any minimum investment or KYC requirements, when ready we will announce the price for the sale and the date it starts on. We will be sure to provide instructions on how to participate, but as we only work with blockchains that allow smart contracts you can be sure it will function in much the same way as our successful protocol sale on Ethereum Classic: send your coin to X address and receive your SATURN X tokens instantly. There will not be an end date, the sale will just keep going until the 15% has been sold.

Getting Started

How does the Saturn Team or the DAO decide which chain they will deploy on next? I realize that as of November 2018 the Ethereum - ETH chain will be the next deployment but going forward and as other smart contract chains come into existence (or those that are out there already), who decides or proposes what chain should be worked on next?

Also, how do people who are not following the space that closely (or just in general) find out what smart contract chains are out there? Is there like a website that has a top ten (10) list or top hundred (100) list of chains that handle smart contracts?

If this has been asked already, by all means provide a link instead of repeating yourself.

How does the Saturn Team or the DAO decide which chain they will deploy on next?

We (dev team) do our research and pick a chain. Main criteria are (at least for now):

1. Compatibility with Solidity
  2. Compatible address space (i.e. ETH and ETC have same addresses). This allows us to make a quick & easy integration with Saturn Wallet
  3. Availability of a block explorer
  4. Availability of a web3.js library

Chains with higher market cap will be preferred.

Eventually these rules may be relaxed to accommodate other chains. For now though we’ve got our hands full even with these criteria. We’ve got our backlog filled for years :sunglasses:

Also, how do people who are not following the space that closely (or just in general) find out what smart contract chains are out there?

No idea. We follow the space rather closely, as we kinda have to in order to be able to invent cutting edge technology. Maybe some other forum members may answer this question.

Thanks for the info, makes sense.

I asked around and this site CoinGecko was mentioned, you can filter by smart contracts https://www.coingecko.com/en?category_id=29&view=market

You can’t filter by the other requirements in this thread but a good start I think for us not monitoring the space closely.

This list is a bit of a lie.

EOS and NEO have their own smart contract languages (sure, you write in C++ or whatever, but you compile this code to a custom VM the blockchain is running and use so many of the custom libraries that you can say goodbye to any meaningful code reuse).

IOTA does not have any smart contracts yet as far as I am aware, only vague plans.

Stellar says they have smart contracts, but realistically stellar’s smart contracts are as good as bitcoin’s, as both chains don’t have turing-complete virtual machines.

This space does not have an easy entrance, I am afraid. You have to study each chain in depth in order to answer any sort of interesting questions.

Okay cool, thanks for clarifying that.